Monday, June 05, 2006

Damn! Damn! DAMN!!!!

Doughty's Dawn in Britain, the 1943 one-volume edition, VG in dustjacket, sold to somebody else for £6.45 because I forgot to bid on the goddamned auction!

I had it open in a browser window in the background, but then in the last hour or so before the auction I got so engrossed in writing the draft of yet another book commentary that I forgot about the auction until it was too late.

The cheapest one currently offered on ABE, G without dustjacket, costs £80.

Grrrr. Remind me again why I don't trust sniping services?

*bangs head against table*

2 Comments:

Blogger Nadezhda said...

You don't trust them because you think you're better than them. But you're also human and they're not. :)

But life does get better once you get over the inital shock. :)

Tuesday, June 06, 2006 4:16:00 PM  
Blogger ill-advised said...

Actually, I think the main reason I don't trust them is because I'm worried that they might forward my eBay password to some third party.

Besides, doing one's own sniping the old-fashioned way provides a nice, cheap thrill :)

But life does get better once you get over the inital shock. :)

This reminds me of the well-known recipe for happiness: swallow a live frog the first thing in the morning, and nothing worse will happen to you for the rest of the day. [Nor to the frog, for that matter :)] But I'm not sure if that's the sort of advice that I particularly wish to heed :)

Tuesday, June 06, 2006 9:31:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home